Raw tomatoes are used in the preparation of Green Tomato Chutney, a chutney typical of the north Karnataka region of India that may be ready in about 15 minutes.
Ingredients for Green Tomato Chutney
|Medium green tomatoes (or tomatillos), should make 1.25 cups when chopped||2|
|Roasted peanuts||2 tbsp|
|Green chilies (adjust to taste)||4/5|
|Coriander leaves (cilantro)||1/4 cup|
|Curry leaves||1-2 stalks|
|Jaggery or stevia (optional)||1/2 tsp|
|Olive oil divided use||2 tsp|
|Salt to taste|
|Mustard seeds||1/4 tsp|
|a pinch asafoetida (hing) skip if gluten-free|
|Few curry leaves|
Preparation for Green Tomato Chutney
- Dry roast the raw peanuts in a skillet with a heavy bottom until they are a desirable level of roasted, and then set them aside. You could also use roasted peanuts purchased from a supermarket or roast the peanuts yourself using an air fryer.
- Heat up one teaspoon of oil in the same skillet, then add the green chilies and stir to combine. Roast them for thirty seconds, or until you see blisters on their skin (you may also slit the chilies so that they don’t pop). After that, add the coriander leaves and the curry leaves, and sauté them for one minute, or until the leaves wilt. Keep aside.
- The same skillet should have another teaspoon of oil added to it, sliced raw green tomatoes put into it, and the tomatoes should be cooked until they are scorched and tender.
- Put the roasted green chilies, the mixture of coriander and curry leaves, the garlic cloves, the jaggery, the roasted peanuts, and the salt into a small blender. Blend until smooth. Without adding any water, blend until you get a coarse paste.
- After that, add the roasted tomatoes and combine the mixture until it is either coarse or smooth, but do not add any water.
- Dosa, idli, or even chapati can be served alongside the raw green tomato chutney now that it is ready.
You might also love to try Air Fryer Roasted Butternut Squash Recipe
Green Tomato Chutney is versatile and can be served with any dish. It goes well with rice, bread, or anything else you can think of. I really enjoy how tart the flavor is.
Personally, I think it’s great. I rate it 5/5. You, too, really ought to give it a shot.