These gingerbread sugar cookies are incredibly soft and chewy, and they don’t contain molasses. They’re also very thick, sweet, and simple to prepare without requiring any chilling time. These cookies are truly exceptional and are ideal for the holiday season!
Ingredients for Gingerbread Cookies Without Molasses
|all-purpose flour, spooned & leveled||2 ½ cups|
|ground ginger||2 ½ tsp|
|ground cloves||¼ tsp|
|ground nutmeg||¼ tsp|
|pumpkin pie spice, optional but highly recommend||¼ tsp|
|baking soda||1 tsp|
|unsalted butter, softened to room temperature (very important)||12 tbsp|
|brown sugar (I used light), packed||1 cup|
|large egg, room temperature||1|
|maple syrup, room temperature||¼ cup|
|white sugar, for rolling||2 – 3 tbsp|
Preparation for Gingerbread Cookies Without Molasses
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350°F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Then, in a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt, whisking them together thoroughly.
- Next, in either a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or using an electric handheld mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar until they are fully combined and the mixture is fluffy and creamy.
- This should take approximately 1-2 minutes, and it’s essential to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add the egg, and beat on medium speed until everything is combined, then pour in the maple syrup, making sure not to overbeat.
- To avoid flour spilling, add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl in two to three increments, mixing on low speed. Then, use a cookie scooper to portion out about 1.5 tablespoons of dough for each cookie, gently rolling them in sugar before placing them on the lined cookie sheets.
- Make sure to space them out evenly, leaving about 2 inches between each cookie. This recipe should make approximately 24-26 cookies.
- Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes until they are puffed up, looking slightly underbaked, and soft. The bottoms should be golden, and the tops should be just slightly crispy. As they cool, the cookies will collapse.
- Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack.
You might also love to try 3 Ingredient Dark Chocolate Almond Bark
This recipe yields 24 cookies.
These gingerbread cookies are superior to traditional recipes in many ways! Unlike most gingerbread men, they aren’t thin and crispy. These cookies are exceptionally delicious because they are very thick, soft, and chewy, akin to a thick sugar cookie or snickerdoodle.
I will never suggest a dish unless I really like it. You might also love to try making this dish at home. I would rate it 4 out of 5. If you use this recipe, please leave a remark and rate it at the bottom of this page. Definitely a must try dish.