These nutritious Baja shrimp tacos can be prepared in just 15 minutes, and are seasoned perfectly with a simple cabbage slaw and cilantro lime crema made from Greek yogurt. You can serve them on flour, corn, or almond flour tortillas to create a quick and gluten-free dinner option for any day of the week.
Ingredients for Baja Shrimp Tacos
|medium raw shrimp||1 pound|
|chili powder||1 tsp|
|garlic powder||1 tsp|
|ground cumin||½ tsp|
|black pepper||½ tsp|
|olive oil||1 – 2 tbsp|
|Ingredients (Simple Slaw)||Quantity|
|⅔ cup shredded green cabbage||⅔ cup|
|shredded red cabbage||⅔ cup|
|shredded carrots||⅔ cup|
|Ingredients (Cilantro Yogurt Crema)||Quantity|
|plain Greek yogurt||1 cup|
|garlic clove, minced||1 – 2|
|lime zest||¾ tsp|
|lime juice||1 – 2 tbsp 1 – 2 tbsp|
|fresh cilantro, finely diced||3 tbsp|
|chili powder||1½ tsp|
|ground cumin||½ tsp|
|Ingredients (The Tacos)||Quantity|
|flour or corn tortillas||8|
|chopped red onion||¼ cup|
|cotija cheese||½ cup|
|fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)||¼ cup|
|Optional toppings: guacomole or mango salsa|
Preparation for Baja Shrimp Tacos
- Begin by preparing the shrimp. If they are frozen, defrost them by running them under cold water, then peel and remove the tails. Pat them dry with paper towels and place them in a medium bowl. Add the seasoning (but not the olive oil) and mix well.
- While the shrimp is marinating, make the cilantro yogurt crema by mixing all the ingredients together and setting it aside.
- Next, in a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine both cabbages and shredded match-stick carrots with about ½ to ⅔ of the cilantro yogurt crema, and set aside.
- To cook the shrimp, heat a large saucepan with olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the seasoned shrimp in a single layer across the pan. If the pan is too small, cook the shrimp in batches to ensure they become crispy.
- Cook for 2 minutes, then flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes until they turn pink and are cooked through. After cooking, remove the shrimp from the pan and set it on a plate to rest.
- Warm or toast the tortillas either in a pan or over an open gas stovetop flame by turning the heat to medium/low and allowing the tortillas to “toast” for about 10 seconds per side until they are lightly charred on the edges.
- If you are using a pan, heat it to medium-hot and “toast” for 30 seconds per side until browned in some spots.
- To assemble the tacos, layer each of the toasted tortillas with the slaw, cooked shrimp, chopped red onion, cotija cheese, chopped cilantro, and an extra drizzle of crema. You can add guacamole, sour cream, and pico de gallo if you like.
- Finally, enjoy your delicious 15-minute Baja shrimp tacos!
You might also love to try Broccolini Salad Recipe
This recipe yields 4 servings.
This recipe for Baja shrimp tacos is the ultimate one, being both healthy and gluten-free. What’s more, it can be easily prepared in less than 15 minutes.
I will never suggest a dish unless I really like it. You might also love to try making this dish at home. I would rate it 4 out of 5. If you use this recipe, please leave a remark and rate it at the bottom of this page. Definitely a must try dish.