This plant-based version of the traditional German schnitzel is both crispy and flavorful, featuring a tender interior and a crunchy panko coating. It can be prepared in under 20 minutes by either air frying or pan frying. Overall, it offers an enjoyable twist on a classic dish that is suitable for vegans.
Ingredients for Crispy Vegan Tofu Schnitzel
|extra-firm tofu||1 block|
|soy sauce||3 – 4 tbsp|
|cornstarch (Flour Coating)||¼ cup|
|¼ cup unsweetened plain almond milk||¼ cup|
|soy sauce||1 tbsp|
|all-purpose flour||¼ cup|
|paprika||½ – 1 tsp|
|panko breadcrumbs||½ – ⅔ cup|
|nutritional yeast||¼ cup|
|garlic powder||½ tsp|
|black pepper||½ tsp|
Preparation for Crispy Vegan Tofu Schnitzel
- To press tofu, take it out of the package and wrap it with layered paper towels or a clean absorbent dish towel. Place the wrapped tofu on a flat surface and press it down for at least 20 minutes.
- You can use a wood-cutting board or a tofu press for this. After pressing, slice the tofu into ¼-inch thick rectangular pieces and marinate them in soy sauce.
- While the tofu is marinating, prepare three shallow bowls for dipping. In the first bowl, put cornstarch. In the second bowl, whisk together milk (or water), flour, and soy sauce.
- In the third bowl, mix the breading ingredients. Dip each tofu piece into the batter, making sure it is evenly coated, and then press it into the breadcrumb mixture until all sides are covered.
- Repeat this process for each piece of tofu.
- To prepare the tofu in an air fryer, first preheat the air fryer to 380°F. Once heated, generously spray the basket with olive oil spray.
- Next, place the breaded tofu in the basket, being careful not to allow any overlapping. Spray the tops of the tofu generously with olive oil spray.
- Air fry the tofu at 380°F for 10 minutes until the tops turn golden brown.
- Then, flip the tofu and air fry for an additional 5 to 8 minutes until it becomes crispy.
You might also love to try Keto Taco Salad
This recipe yields 4 servings.
There are several reasons why this recipe is considered the best on the internet: Firstly, it requires only six main ingredients in addition to some spices. Secondly, the tofu can be cooked using either an air fryer or a pan fry method. Thirdly, the entire dish can be prepared in less than 20 minutes. Lastly, the recipe is completely gluten-free.
I will never suggest a dish unless I really like it. You might also love to try making this dish at home. I would rate it 4 out of 5. If you use this recipe, please leave a remark and rate it at the bottom of this page. Definitely a must try dish.