This dish, which can be served for breakfast, brunch, or as a side dish, is influenced by Irish cuisine and features ‘boxty’, which are cakes made from potatoes.
Ingredients for Potato & spring onion breakfast pancakes
|floury potatoes (weighed after peeling), cut into large chunks||140g|
|bicarbonate of soda||½ tsp|
|sunflower oil||2 tsp|
Preparation for Potato & spring onion breakfast pancakes
- Boil the potatoes in a large pan of salted water until they become tender. After draining them well, return them to the pan and shake gently over low heat for a minute to remove any excess moisture.
- Then, mash the potatoes and let them cool. In a bowl, mix the cooled mashed potatoes with flour and bicarbonate of soda.
- Whisk together an egg and milk in a separate bowl, season with salt and pepper, then add it to the potato mixture and whisk until it becomes smooth.
- Add spring onions, reserving some for serving, to the mixture and stir. Heat half of the oil and butter in a non-stick frying pan until sizzling, then spoon in half of the pancake batter to create three pancakes.
- Cook for a minute or so on each side until they become browned and set underneath, then flip them and cook the other side. Keep the cooked pancakes warm in the oven while making three more.
- Wipe the frying pan clean, then add bacon and fry until almost crisp. Push the bacon to one side and crack the remaining two eggs into the pan, adding a splash more oil if necessary.
- Fry the eggs to your liking, then serve with the pancakes and bacon, sprinkled with the remaining spring onions.
You might also love to try Cilantro Lime Chicken Burgers Recipe
This recipe yields 2 servings.
I will never suggest a dish unless I really like it. You might also love to try making this dish at home. I would rate it 4 out of 5. If you use this recipe, please leave a remark and rate it at the bottom of this page. Definitely a must try dish.