This recipe for sweet potato gnocchi is incredibly soft and fluffy, and requires just five ingredients. The gnocchi is then tossed in a simple sauce made of garlic and butter. In under 30 minutes, you can create the best homemade, gluten-free gnocchi recipe that you’ll ever taste.
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Gnocchi
|Ingredients (Sweet Potato Gnocchi)||Quantity|
|sweet potatoes||20 oz|
|ricotta or Greek yogurt||3 tbsp|
|freshly grated parmesan or pecorino romano||3 tbsp|
|all-purpose flour||1 cup|
|Ingredients (Garlic Butter Sauce)||Quantity|
|unsalted butter||2 – 3 tbsp|
|large garlic cloves, minced||2 – 3 large|
|thyme leaves||2 tsp|
|Freshly ground black pepper|
Preparation for Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- Begin by poking the sweet potatoes with a fork and microwaving them for 7-10 minutes until they are completely cooked through and soft.
- After they have cooled down, scoop the flesh out of the skins and add it to a large bowl, mashing it until there are no clumps. Mix in the ricotta and parmesan until well combined.
- Add 1 cup of flour to start and mix until the flour is incorporated. Knead the mixture lightly until it forms a smooth ball, but be careful not to over-knead.
- If the mixture is too wet, add more flour, but use as little as possible. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes if you feel like you have worked with it a lot.
- Then, divide it into 4 equal sections and roll each section into a snake shape that is about ¾ inch thick. Cut the dough into ½ inch pieces using a bench scraper or knife. If the pieces become misshapen, gently roll them into a ball shape or press them back into a square shape.
- For the classic gnocchi shape, roll each piece down the back of a fork, although this is optional. Let the pieces rest for 10 minutes while you bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Boil the gnocchi until they float to the top, which takes about 3 minutes depending on their size. Drain them and set them aside. Meanwhile, make the garlic butter sauce by melting butter in a pan and adding minced garlic.
- Stir until the garlic turns golden and fragrant. Add the cooked gnocchi to the pan and toss them in the sauce until they are coated.
- If the edges of the gnocchi become golden and crisp, that is ideal. Serve immediately and enjoy the delicious potato pillows!
You might also love to try Broccolini Salad Recipe
This recipe yields 4 servings.
When it comes to texture, homemade sweet potato gnocchi is very similar to traditional gnocchi. It is light, fluffy, tender, and has an airy texture. Every piece feels like a tiny potato pillow that simply melts in your mouth with every bite.
I will never suggest a dish unless I really like it. You might also love to try making this dish at home. I would rate it 4 out of 5. If you use this recipe, please leave a remark and rate it at the bottom of this page. Definitely a must try dish.